An MR license or a Medium Rigid truck driving license is used to permit you to drive any truck or bus with axles, weighing under eight tons. There are many MR truck driver training providers who give their students competent lessons on following road safety and handling huge vehicles with care. They take assessments, get an eyesight checkup, and analyze road skills of individuals before giving the license.
MR license is the intermediate class of heavy vehicles. It most commonly obtained a license as it allows for more flexibility to drive a wide range of vehicles as compared to an LR license.
Pre-requisites for an MR license
There are four steps to fill before you apply for MR license. Driving a heavy vehicle isn’t easy, that is why the screening process is relatively comprehensive.
- The applicant for MR truck license must hold a car license (not learner’s permit) for at least a year before applying.
- Must complete the driver’s knowledge test.
- Get enrolled in an MR license driver training provider and learn to drive an MR vehicle.
- Successfully complete the Medium Rigid license test.
These may vary depending on the requirements of different schools, but they all follow the same method more or less.
Uses of an MR License
An MR license is usually obtained by people who want to fit in certain job roles and expand their career opportunities. Many people choose to get an MR license to start a new career or make some money as a side hustle. An MR truck can be used for the following purposes:
- Shipment of a heavy automobile or machinery parts.
- Food delivery in bulk for restaurants.
- Courier services.
- Delivery, allocation or removal of furniture (furniture rental service providers use it more often).
- Towing cars and other automobiles.
- School Bus Driving
Basically, it includes any such job roles that require individual to be able to handle a Medium Rigid truck with ease.
Things to Consider Before Enrolling in an MR License Training Service Provider
Before getting yourself enrolled with a Medium Rigid truck license training and assessment school you should look for one that is accredited, competent, and their training location should be closer to where you live. Otherwise, it will become difficult to show up on time.
Secondly, for people who have jobs with unpredictable hours should look for schools with flexible training hours. Meet with the instructor so you can later develop a rapport, study the curriculum and see if it fits your needs, and ask them about their training methods. The cost of training lessons and assessment is also provided on the websites of many major driving schools, you can contact also them to know about their dues.
You can also get your eyesight tested and get a number if you have poor eyesight, this is a pre-requisite for many schools, but if not, it’s for your own safety.
What Vehicles Can You Drive with an MR License?
After obtaining an MR license you can drive the following vehicles:
- An automobile authorized by a license of the preceding
- A heavy vehicle with two axles and a GVM greater than 8 tons (e.g. two-axle trucks, buses, and tippers).
- A heavy vehicle included in two towing a single trailer (other than a semi-trailer) with a GVM under nine tons.
- A special purpose vehicle greater than eight tones (you can get training from driver schools who provide specific vehicles, most relevant to the company that you are likely to join later).
There are many driving schools that can get you trained and tested early, even in a single day. The minimum requirement of hours of training ranges from 5 to 8 hours for obtaining the driver’s license and ten to twenty hours for mastering the training (specialization according to job roles).
In order to get your MR, license the first thing you need to do is go over your driver’s knowledge to complete the test successfully and look for a driving school that suits your need. We hope this blog post answered your questions and provided comprehensive information on what an MR license is.